BOXJELLY+FISHCAKE ARTIST IN RESIDENCE
BoxJelly+Fishcake Artist in Residence (AiR), provides a 3-month opportunity to create new work for a solo exhibition in Honolulu, Hawaii in the heart of Kaka’ako, an urban neighborhood with proximity to the beach, shops, restaurants, bars and local events.
We’re looking for bright, enterprising creatives who work in contemporary art practices and forms with big ideas and the ambition to execute them.
This Summer Residency is 3 months, July 1st - September 30th. Watch our newsletter for our next artist in residence opening!
The residency includes:
- a clean workspace, a 150 sq ft and a/c studio space suitable for artists and designers working in digital arts, video, photography, illustration, fiber arts and textile design. (not suitable for painting, or working with materials that gives off toxic fumes.)
- a solo exhibition at the boxjelly, the premier co-working space for urban creatives in hawaii! we will provide press, marketing and hosting costs of the opening reception. all sales from the exhibition go directly to the artist.
- boxjelly dedicated studio membership (a $1500 value).
- creative mentoring with boxJelly arts coordinator laurie sumiye.
- a one-on-one portfolio review with fishcake art curator keiko hatano.
- consultation with fishcake co-founder and chief creative maura fujihira and fishcake showroom manager cassie louie on selling artwork and design products.
- an opportunity to earn a spot on fishcake’s roster of local and international artists and designers. fishcake sells artists’ work in two retail locations, as well as direct to homeowners and businesses through their interior design studio, fishcake works.
The residency does not include exhibition costs, artist stipend, transportation, housing, or parking. However, there is FREE Parking at the Ward Warehouse parking structure located one block from the BoxJelly on the corner of Ward Ave & Auahi St (across from StarBucks). There is also a drop off loading zone right in front of the BoxJelly. We cannot offer a visa for international applicants.
Submissions must include:
- the application form
- project proposal: 1-2 pages in length, outlining a plan to create a body of work to enhance boxJelly’s space. include a detailed list of techniques and materials, outlining project logistics, supply and labor needs, and budget
- artist’s CV
- digital zip file containing 5-10 samples of your most recent work with an inventory sheet
- artist statement
- other supportive material (optional)
Please email your application and materials to [laurie sumiye]
Applying is FREE.
To arrange a space visit and for all questions, please contact:
Arts Coordinator, BoxJelly
call M-F 8am – 8pm (808)769-6921
Current Artist in Residence
Past Artists in Residence